Because Delaware is one of the smallest states in the country, many people assume that there is less crime here. However, nothing could be further from the truth. As with any state, crime does happen in Delaware, and if you’re someone interested in a top career in law enforcement, then you should consider becoming an agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
The FBI is a federal level law enforcement organization that deals with a wide range of crime both in America and abroad. Anyone interested in an FBI career must meet a variety of requirements necessary for top agent.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
How to Become an FBI Agent in Delaware
- Certification: Prior certification is not required to join the FBI
- Age: Candidates must be over 23 and under the age of 37.
- Licensure: No licenses are necessary to become an agent with the FBI.
- Degree: The minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required before you can be considered for the FBI.
- Experience: You should have three years of professional work experience before you submit your application, which can be waived if you are a CPA or have earned a Juris Doctorate (JD).
- Citizenship: Only US citizens are eligible to become FBI agents.
- Flexibility: Because the FBI has offices across the United States and the world, you must be ready to move wherever the agency sends you.
- Background: FBI agents must have clean backgrounds. This includes no felony convictions, drug history, failure to pay child support or register for the Selective Service.
- Fitness: Passing a physical fitness test is required before you can become an agent.
Application Process in Delaware
- Application: The application process for joining the FBI is very lengthy. After initial application approval, you will sit for a three-hour exam and attend a meet and greet interview. Next, a 90-minute writing test and a structured interview will be required, as well as a background check. Finally, you will take part in a basic field training course. If or when you pass, you will be a probationary agent for eighteen months.
Degrees Related to FBI Agents
The FBI accepts candidates with degrees in a wide range of expertise. However, because the FBI enforces laws and investigates crimes, many people considering a career as an agent will consider a degree in criminal justice. Other degrees that may be useful include foreign languages, law, engineering and STEM.
Major Cities in Delaware
- Wilmington has a population of 71,525. It is the largest city in Delaware.
- Dover is second in population with 37,366 residents.
- 32,549 people live in Newark.
What Does an FBI Agent Do in Delaware?
- The FBI is a law enforcement agency with very broad duties. One of their main responsibilities is to fight terrorism at home and abroad.
- An FBI agent may also engage in foreign counterintelligence.
- FBI agents can investigate a wide range of crime. This can include cyber crime, white collar crime, public corruption and violent crime. They may also pursue major offenders and collaborate with local law enforcement agencies.
Law enforcement officers work in a career that is very similar to an FBI agent, with the biggest difference being in terms of the scale of a crime. Private investigators and private detectives also perform similar duties to FBI agents.
FBI Agent Employment Numbers in Delaware
There are thousands of FBI agents working across the country and the world. However, because the Bureau of Labor Statistics does not collect data about the FBI, there is no way to know exactly how many agents are in the field. The FBI field office in Baltimore covers the states of Maryland and Delaware.
FBI Agent Salary Ranges in Delaware
FBI agents are paid on the General Schedule (GS) scale for law enforcement officers. Entry level agents are considered GS-10 and improve their pay to GS-13 over the course of their career, making the salary range for a Delaware FBI agent $60,966 to $120,102.
Delaware Related Organizational Links
Education Programs for FBI agents in Delaware
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- Doctor of Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS in Criminal Intelligence Analysis
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics