Law enforcement is important in Indiana, and if you’re looking for an exciting law enforcement career, you should consider becoming an agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). An FBI agent works to fight crime both inside and outside of the country, making them an indispensable part of national security.
The FBI wants only the best agents, which is why there are several strict requirements you have to meet before your application will be considered and approved.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
How to Become an FBI Agent in Indiana
- Certification: No certification is required.
- Age: FBI applicants should be between the ages of 23 and 37. However, your appointment as an agent must take place before your 37th birthday.
- Licensure: No licenses are needed.
- Degree: The FBI requires that its agents have at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college.
- Experience: An applicant to become an FBI agent must have worked for three years in a professional capacity.
- Citizenship: Working as an FBI agent is restricted to citizens of the United States.
- Flexibility: An FBI agent must be willing to move wherever the Bureau tells them to.
- Background: A clean criminal history without drug use or missed child support payments is required by the FBI. Every applicant seeking to become an FBI agent will have to submit to a background check.
- Fitness: Working as an FBI agent can be a very physically demanding job, which is why a physical fitness test is required of all prospective agents.
Application Process in Indiana
- Application: The first step to becoming an FBI agent is submitting an online application. After these preliminary steps, you must complete Phase I, an informal interview and cognitive ability exam, and Phase II, a writing exam and a structured interview. Applicants that pass both phases will receive basic field training. After successfully completing field training, you will be an FBI agent under probation, which lasts 18 months.
Degrees Related to FBI Agents
For those who are already planning to apply to the FBI, it is common to pursue a criminal justice degree, law degree, or military or law enforcement work. However, the FBI accepts applications from anyone with an accredited bachelor’s degree, including those with degrees in STEM fields, foreign languages, accounting and engineering.
Major Cities in Indiana
- The most populous city in Indiana is Indianapolis with 852,866 residents.
- Fort Wayne is second in population with 256,496 people.
- Wayne Township has a population of 136,829.
What Does an FBI Agent Do in Indiana?
- Fighting against domestic and overseas terrorism is one of the main responsibilities of an FBI agent.
- As a law enforcement organization, the FBI also investigates crimes and brings dangerous criminals to justice. An FBI agent may investigate violent crimes, cybercrimes and any other offenses in their jurisdiction.
- Some FBI agents will work in counterintelligence.
FBI agents are law enforcement officers, which makes other law enforcement careers similar to working in the FBI. Police officers, private investigators, cyber security experts or any other profession focused on investigating and stopping crime will be related to an FBI agent.
Employment Numbers in Indiana
Specific employment numbers for FBI agents are not made available by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Indiana FBI field office is located in Indianapolis and is responsible for the entire state.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Salary Ranges in Indiana
Determining the pay for an FBI agent in Indiana requires examining the General Schedule (GS) pay scale for law enforcement officers. New FBI agents will be paid at the GS-10 level, but can be promoted to GS-13. The pay range will be between $57,019 and $112,326.
Indiana Related Organizational Links
Education Programs for FBI agents in Indiana
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics