As part of the Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation exists to protect the citizens of the United States and their surrounding communities from dangerous threats, both internal and external. These threats may come in the form of violent street gangs, corrupt leaders or cyber hackers. No matter the source, the FBI is expected to uphold the nation’s security and infrastructure.
Ultimately, FBI agents must be aware of the weight of their duties and responsibilities. It is their job to enforce federal laws and investigate criminal activity.
In Michigan, the main FBI field office can be found in Detroit. There are also eleven resident agencies in other cities throughout the state. If you’re interested in becoming a part of this revered profession, continue reading to learn Michigan’s general requirements.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
FBI Agent Requirements in Michigan
- FBI agents applicants must be between 23 and 37 years old.
- You must have a valid driver’s license in one of the 50 states.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Candidates should also hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- An additional three years of relevant field experience is necessary.
In addition to the basic requirements, applicants should be willing to move to remote locations across the U.S., away from friends and family.
Other requirements include a fitness test to ensure applicants are healthy enough to perform essential job functions, an in-depth background check covering the medical and personal history, and a drug test.
Different Positions with the FBI in Michigan
FBI agents in Michigan may choose to pursue a specialized area of focus that allows them to utilize their specific skills. These special skills can range from knowing more than one foreign language to being able to operate a helicopter.
Michigan FBI Agent Education
To become an FBI agent in Michigan, you do not necessarily need a criminal justice degree. A degree in a foreign language, engineering, sociology and other fields are also completely sufficient. The FBI is often able to use diverse educational backgrounds as an advantage.
Major Cities in Michigan
- Detroit is the largest city in the state, population-wise, with 688,701 residents.
- At 192,294 people, Grand Rapids has the second largest population in Michigan.
- The third largest population in the state is in the city of Sterling Heights, which has 131,224 people.
Specific Duties of FBI Agents in Michigan
The Bureau’s central duty is to protect the country’s citizens. In Michigan, this is done by preventing cyber attacks, pinpointing threats of violence, investigating corruption and combating crime on all levels.
An FBI agent will have diverse days of writing reports, testifying in federal court, planning investigative operations and setting up surveillance.
- Before the FBI was an official organization, a special agent was sent to Detroit to perform investigations for the Department of Justice. By 1911, an official field office was established.
- After 9/11, Detroit’s FBI division has worked closely with its local Muslim communities to identify threats and stop retaliatory hate crimes from threatening its citizens.
Michigan FBI Agent Salary
The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not offer salary information for FBI agents in the state. However, the Bureau works on the government’s General Schedule (GS) pay scale. For Michigan, this means agents can make between $58,665 and $119,429 annually.
FBI Training Programs and Schools in Michigan
Criminal Justice Programs and Schools in Michigan
(It’s fast and free!)
Choose your area of study and receive free information about programs you are interested in. FBI agents are dedicated to America’s defense and security. There are a number of careers you can pursue within the FBI with current activities focusing heavily on anit-terrorism. No matter which career you pursue becoming an FBI agent requires deep commitment and dedication. Request information from multiple schools to find the best program and educational opportunity for you!