The federal bureau of investigation is a government agency that consists of highly trained individuals known as agents who work together to protect the lives of citizen on a domestic and foreign scale and strive to maintain the national security. The FBI field office in Oregon is located in Portland and it has five other satellite offices around the state.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
How to Become an FBI Agent in Oregon
Individuals looking to join the bureau must ensure that they meet the following FBI agents’ requirement.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- He or she must be between the ages of 23 and 36.
- Only candidates who have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree will be shortlisted to be admitted into the FBI College for training.
- Aside the FBI internship for undergraduates, applicants must have a minimum of three years working experience.
To become an FBI agent, candidates must be willing to go anywhere.
Jobs with the FBI require great levels of security and confidentiality, for this purpose, background screening is conducted on prospective agents. This is an extremely important part of the FBI hiring process, such checks help to verify all information provided at the point of application and ensure that applicants have a clear criminal record.
All candidates working for the FBI have to pass a personality test. It is a mandatory requirement that helps the agency determines suitability and the ability of an agent.
Different Positions With the FBI
The field office of the FBI in Oregon consists of several units responsible for handling different functions;
Hazmat Experts – This unit is made up of several special agents trained to handle hazardous materials including chemical, biological and radioactive weapons. They partner with the tactical unit to execute counter terrorism jobs.
Intelligence Analyst – This unit handles all information. An intelligence analyst’s job is to gather information to help craft strategies on both domestic and foreign matters.
Investigative specialist-agents in this unit are responsible for conducting surveillance and helping the counter intelligence groups in their operations.
Financial Analyst – This unit consists of skilled financial experts that handle the management of the bureau, its cases and its equipment.
Language Specialist – consists of special agents well versed in language and linguistics whose main duties are to interpret audios and document and sometimes conduct interviews.
Evidence Response Team – This unit are usually the first responders at crime scenes, they ensure that all details are captured and no evidence is left investigated. A crime scene investigators job is to gather and process information and crime scenes, they also interview witness at crime scenes to help with future investigations.
Victims’ Assistant Specialist – They play an important role of helping crime victims overcome traumas and provide them with medical and emotional help.
Specialized Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team – This is the field operations unit responsible for conducting raids and other high risk operations including hostage rescue and criminal arrest.
Special Agent Bomb Technician – Agents who take up FBI careers as bomb technician are trained experts who are able to detect and disarm explosive devices and other incendiary devices. They make use of highly technical equipment designed to help them in their operations.
Computer Analysis and Response Team – responsible for the bureau’s forensic jobs, this unit processes evidence from digital devices.
Bachelors of Science in Criminology -To become a federal agent, candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree as part of the FBI agents’ requirements. Candidates with a criminology degree are suitable for the agency since most cases handled are on federal crimes and require law enforcement expertise.
Masters of Science in Criminology – Candidates who have a master’s degree in criminology or criminal justice only needs to have a minimum of two years work experience as opposed to the required three for lesser qualifications.
Degrees for FBI Support Specialists– Specialists working for the FBI in other positions need to have qualifications necessary to their field. Due to the diverse nature of the agency, applicants with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, law, computer science, and language can work in a various capacity for the organisation.
Major cities in the state
The state of Oregon has a lot of cities within it. It is in fact the ninth largest state in the country with a land mass of about 100,000 square miles. It has a field office located in Portland, and five satellite office at; Eugene, Medford, Salem, bend, and Pendleton.
Specific duties of FBI agents
Although FBI agents are charged with protecting citizens and safeguarding national security. There are some specific duties that they execute in order to achieve these goals, they include.
- Analyzing financial records.
- Gathering of intelligence worldwide.
- Conducting undercover operations.
- Managing and investigating crime scenes.
- Developing links and informants.
- Making arrests and conducting surveillance.
The FBI in Oregon have been present since the since the early 1900. Since its inception, the bureau has investigated a wide range of cases, from prostitutions to anti-trust issues. The Portland field office handled the popular DB cooper hijacking case, where a man named Dan cooper hijacked a northwest orient plane. Some of the money was recovered nine years later but his whereabouts remains a mystery. Ever since the 9/11 attacks however, the bureau has made significant improvement in handling crime and domestic terrorism cases. The bureau marked its 100th anniversary in July 2008, which coincided with the opening of a regional training facility in the state.
On average, FBI employees earn between $63,000 and $69,000 annually, this salary is in line with the gs pay scale and may vary depending on the experience and education of FBI agents. It also depends on the unit of placement as a computer forensic salary may differ from a swat salary. The salaries also vary based on locations as agents in Portland are granted a 20.35% percent adjustment according to the united state bureau of labour statistics.
Education Programs for FBI agents in Oregon
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics