South Dakota is one of the sparsely populated states in the US. Regardless of this sparse population, South Dakota makes for great FBI opportunities and experiences. FBI agents in South Dakota are comparatively smaller in number than in other states and this by extension means that; South Dakota FBI agents must be versatile and experienced in an array of fields as against their counterparts who are more specialized. If you are in South Dakota and you would like to know how to get into the FBI then this article is just for you.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Basic Requirements Needed to Become an FBI Agent in South Dakota
As with every other state in the USA, there are two main career options an applicant can choose with the FBI
- Special Agent
- Professional Staffer
Special agents are the backbone of the FBI and as such are required to undergo certain thorough and rigorous training and application regimen before they can be employed by the agency. This training is essential as it facilitates their ability to work as field experts on high profile crimes and several other investigations needing the FBI’s attention. Below is a list of requirements necessary to become an FBI Special Agent in South Dakota.
- Candidate must be a citizen of the United States of America or a citizen of Northern Marina Island
- Candidate must be at least 23 years old and not more than 37 years old at the time of employment
- Candidate must have a minimum of a Bachelors Degree from an accredited 4-year university or college.
- Candidate must be willing to relocate when necessary to any area under the FBI’s jurisdiction.
- Candidate must successfully pass a written exam, a drug test, a background check, a polygraph exam, an interview and also a physical fitness test before getting hired.
- Candidates are required to have a valid US Drivers license
- Candidates are also required to have at least 3 years of full working experience excluding summer jobs, internships, temporary employment, seasonal positions etc.
Professional Staffers, on the other hand, do not have to undergo as much rigorous training as Special Agents. The professional staffing positions are reserved for FBI agents who do not want to or cannot be involved actively in the field or engage in FBI Special Agent Duties. While Professional Staffers are not exactly as prestigious as the special agents, Professional Staffers keep the agency running as they assist Special Agents via clerical, administrative and maintenance services. The essential requirements to become an FBI Professional Staffer in South Dakota are;
- A high school diploma *Completion of a background check
- Previous work experience
From having to confront threats to acting as role models, the everyday life of an FBI agent in South Dakota is as dynamic as it gets. The FBI is tasked with handling a variety of situations ranging from criminal to counterintelligence and even cyber crimes; hence FBI jobs are quite extensive. However, here are a few FBI positions available to South Dakota.
Different Positions Within the FBI
INTELLIGENCE: Surveillance Specialist, Intelligence Analyst, Profiler, Behavioral analyst etc.
COUNTERINTELLIGENCE: A huge part of the FBIs responsibility is to protect the USA from espionage and foreign intelligence operations. This duty is executed primarily by the counterintelligence division of the FBI in South Dakota.
CYBER CRIMES DIVISION: The cyber crimes division of the FBI is usually made up of Analysts, Computer Scientists, and Forensic Examiners. As with all other 55 FBI field offices, the Minneapolis Division which covers South Dakota, North Dakota and the states of Minnesota offers candidates job opportunities in the cyber crimes unit of the FBI.
CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION: Statistically, the CID (Criminal Investigative Division) is the largest division within the United States FBI. The CID has over 4800 Field Special Agents, 300 Intelligence Analysts and 520 headquarter employees. The CID is in charge of addressing globalized criminal threats.
TACTICAL OPERATION: As a part/section of the FBI’s Critical Incident Response Group, the Tactical Operations Division has the following positions
- Hostage Rescue Team *Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT)
- Sniper/ Observer *Enhanced SWAT
- Tactical Mobility Team *Tactical Helicopter Teams
- Crisis Negotiation Unit *Special Agent Bomb Technician.
COUNTERTERRORISM DIVISION: Helps protect the United States from acts of terrorism.
Candidates of the FBI (South Dakota Inclusive) are required to meet certain degree requirements. FBI Special Agent candidates must have at least a Bachelors Degree in a relevant field and from an accredited 4 year University.
FBI Special Agent degree requirements include but are not limited to
- Bachelor of Science in Criminology
- Master of Science in Criminology
FBI Professional Staff such as experienced linguists, financial analysts etc need a high school diploma in any of these relevant fields.
Major Cities in South Dakota
There are 4 resident agencies or satellite offices located in the state of South Dakota.
- Sioux Falls
- Rapid City
Sioux Falls: Located on the eastern side of South Dakota, Sioux Falls is the largest metropolitan area in South Dakota. This satellite office is in charge of supervising operations in 28 separate towns and rural county areas.
Pierre: Pierre is located at the center of South Dakota and handles operations for 7 towns (mostly rural)
Aberdeen: The Aberdeen office in South Dakota handles operations on the Northern border of the state.
Rapid City: Located on the western border of South Dakota, Rapid City is the second largest jurisdiction in South Dakota
FBI Agents have varying responsibilities for about 36,000 employees and with these varying responsibilities come varying salaries but most of the FBI agents, technician and specialists are paid according to the Governments approved General Schedule System (GS). Hence salary between FBI Special Agents and Professional Staffs range between
- Special Agents: $455771- $59505 (as GS-10 beginner pay grade salary) to peak earnings (GS-13 Agents) of $71674 – $93175.
- Professional Staff: $33979 – $44176 (as GS7 beginner pay grade salary) to a peak earning of $84697 – $110104.
It is important at this point to note that entering pay grade for professional staff is often influenced by advanced degrees such as Masters and Ph.D. as well as substantial professional achievement, high military rank, and a few other variables.
Education Programs for FBI agents in South Dakota
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- Doctor of Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS in Criminal Intelligence Analysis
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics